Saturday, January 14, 2012

What Am I?

What was it I saw on my hike yesterday?
As my name implies, I have no hair.
But on the other hand, that is kind of a misleading clue, because nothing that is related to me has hair. Only mammals do, and I am no mammal.
But on the other hand, it is a great clue, because now you have part of my name, or should.
No, I am not an eagle or even a bird.
I don't eat things. In fact, I use the amazing chemical process of photosynthesis to make food.
I have no feet, I have no legs, but I do have knees.
I have needles, but I don't sew.
My wood is amazingly resistant to rot if you humans make something out of it.
You would be miserable standing around in swamp water all day, but I love it.
In the summer, you might think that I am a kind of pine tree, with my evergreen look. But evergreen is fleeting. This time of year, I am naked as an oak.
Figure it out?

Scroll down....





I am a bald cypress:
Bald cypress knees:

1 comment: