Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What Am I?

This creature was not as spectacular to see as were the two black bears on my Sunday hike to Bear Church Rock, nor was it as scared of me as the bears were - despite me being several hundred times its size.  See if you can guess what it is...

Translate from Latin my class name
And "Double life" will start this game

I hatch in water from an egg
I have a tail but not one leg

But as I grow my tail will shrink
And legs will sprout.  "What's this?" you think.

Then suddenly, I live on land
And make my home in forest grand

I breath the air with each new lung
And catch a meal with sticky tongue

My skin is rough, but call them warts
And the true facts this claim distorts

What seems a wart is useful gland
That stops a foe from meal he planned

For they release a most foul taste
The wish to eat me is displaced

You might think I'm a frog, my kin -
But frogs have smooth, not bumpy, skin

Okay, then.
Enough
Clues!
Take your
Guess and
Scroll

D

O

W

N

For the
Answer:

No doubt the answer from you flowed,
And you guessed American toad!

This was a pretty big toad.  I am pretty sure it is an American toad.  He let me get quite close as you can see.



1 comment: