Saturday, August 18, 2012

On Walking

Obviously, I love to hike, but I also get a lot of pleasure from just plain walking. Running – well, that seems to be a love – hate relationship, or maybe a like – dislike relationship is more accurate. With my knee pain ever since this past winter, I am not running right now. But I am walking.  Not as fast as I used to before I was running and when I could turn out 13.5 minute miles for 26.2 miles.  But still, at a decent clip.

Getting up early and walking is difficult on my new work schedule with longer work days. I do it when I can, even if it is just for a short walk. And going for a walk at lunch is something I generally don’t do this time of year in the hot Virginia days. Why, I’d return to work a sodden mess! But even at work, I find ways to walk a bit. I take the stairs instead of the elevator. When you work on the seventh floor, and routinely have meetings on the 14th and 15th floors, it adds up. I’ll walk over to see someone rather than calling or instant messaging. And at home, unless I have a lot to buy, I will walk the half mile each way to the grocery store.

I turned 61 just over a month ago. A few days later, we went to Pittsburgh and I also replaced the battery on my trusty pedometer. I decided that it would be kind of cool to see how many steps I take before my next birthday, so I am tracking that. So far, just shy of the first month of counting, I am a little bit below 400,000 steps. With cooler weather approaching, I will hope to be walking at lunch again – my short 30 minute lunch break – but also maybe after work a bit. And hopefully, I will get out for some more hiking. I still have six more new places in 2012 to reach my goal.

2 comments:

  1. As you know walking is my thing.
    We don't do so bad for 61. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, so keep those feet moving! And I agree!

    ReplyDelete