Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Hiking Goals

Happy New Year!  Welcome, 2014!

As I have done recently, I am going to start the year out with some hiking goals to expand my horizons a bit and make sure that I get out there.  Here they are.  Do you have any goals for the year, some places you would love to hike to?
  1. Hike at least eight places I have never hiked to or not hiked to in 10 years. The hike must be at least four miles long to qualify.
  2. Take at least five hikes in Shenandoah National Park or the immediate vicinity.  I am setting this goal because I only got there once in 2013, which is ridiculous!  I live just a two to three hour drive from must trailheads, and I finally got my lifetime National Parks pass a few months ago.
  3. Hike in at least two states in 2014 that I did not hike in during 2013.  At least one of these must be a state that I never hiked in.
  4. Hike in one foreign country this year.
  5. Volunteer to lead a hike with a Meet-up group.
  6. Go backpacking at least three times.  I have a couple of specific places I want to go, including perhaps one of the trips that I had to scrub last year: and one bigger adventure that would require a long drive heading north.  I'll see what I can do.
  7. Enhance my map and compass skills by practicing some navigation and also by trying orienteering again.
  8. Hike at least 110 miles on non-urban trails, which is a 20% increase over 2013.
  9. Keep writing about my hikes in my Oh, To Be Hiking blog.
Wishing you a healthy and happy 2014!  Now, lace on those boots and get out there!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your goals for this year. : )
    The picture is beautiful.
    Happy New Year Art to you and your family.
    I wish you happiness and good health!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping to be able to help you with some of those hiking goals this year.
    My person goal is to make sure that I hike at least 100 miles this year. I got some new hiking poles for Christmas, so I need to break them in really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Karen. I hope to reach those goals and have some fun and adventure in the process. Happy New Year and best wishes for health and happiness ahead! Art

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hawkeye - That is a great goal and you have inspired me to set a similar goal for myself. I also have new trekking poles, and they are itching to do what they were designed and manufactured to do. So let's help each other with those goals on the trails. Art

    ReplyDelete