As I have done recently, I am going to start the year out with some hiking goals to expand my horizons a bit and make sure that I get out there. Here they are. Do you have any goals for the year, some places you would love to hike to?
- Hike at least eight places I have never hiked to or not hiked to in 10 years. The hike must be at least four miles long to qualify.
- Take at least five hikes in Shenandoah National Park or the immediate vicinity. I am setting this goal because I only got there once in 2013, which is ridiculous! I live just a two to three hour drive from must trailheads, and I finally got my lifetime National Parks pass a few months ago.
- Hike in at least two states in 2014 that I did not hike in during 2013. At least one of these must be a state that I never hiked in.
- Hike in one foreign country this year.
- Volunteer to lead a hike with a Meet-up group.
- Go backpacking at least three times. I have a couple of specific places I want to go, including perhaps one of the trips that I had to scrub last year: and one bigger adventure that would require a long drive heading north. I'll see what I can do.
- Enhance my map and compass skills by practicing some navigation and also by trying orienteering again.
- Hike at least 110 miles on non-urban trails, which is a 20% increase over 2013.
- Keep writing about my hikes in my Oh, To Be Hiking blog.