Friday, December 15, 2017

Executing Plan "C"

I had a number of plans for hikes in November and early December, including a short backpacking trip.  Those changed about 6 weeks ago when I went to put down a folding table after a meeting.  Whoever set it up forgot to lock the legs, and when I touched it, it collapsed and slammed into my left foot.  I am pretty sure I broke a toe, but if not, it sure hurt for a while and kept me from being so active.  Two weeks ago, instead of going backpacking (plan A), heading along with a group on a tough mountain day hike (Plan B), I decided that my toe was still too sore, so I executed Plan C - a nature hike in Dutch Gap Conservation Area.  This is one of my go to local hikes.  I always enjoy it, and I usually see wildlife.  It is a fairly mellow hike - level and not too long: from 4.5 to 6 miles or so depending on optional side paths.  As usually, I saw a variety of birds, and I enjoyed getting some exercise.  My injured toe was taped to its buddy, but by then, it was not too painful for this kind of a walk. 

Here are a few photos of the hike:

Looking over the oxbow:

Red berries:

Forested path:

A tranquil pond:

Cormorants at rest:

The last of the fall colors:


Eastern meadowlark:

While it's been disappointing to be off my feet a fair amount during the last of the nice fall weather, I am grateful to be out hiking again, if at a lower intensity for a while.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a hike I would enjoy. : )
    So sorry to hear about your hurt toe. Sounds pretty painful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely would like it. There are lots of little side trails to explore, too. I explored 2-3 of them. My toe was painful but not now. The nail finally finished coming off yesterday.

    ReplyDelete