Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Big Run Overview

Last Saturday, I led a group to hike in Shenandoah, and at the start, we were a few feet away from an overlook with a great view of the large Big Run Watershed.  It had a view that encompassed much of the area I had hiked and camped in the weekend before, so I snapped a few photos.

Directly ahead is the Rockytop ridge line, which I spent hours hiking along.

Here is a panorama of the rugged Big Run area.  I was camping out down in there the weekend of November 2-4.

In the upper middle is the gap in the ridge that Big Run flows through to get to the Shenandoah River.  The ridge to the left is Rockytop, and the one to the right is Rocky Mountain and Brown Mountain, where I hiked in late October.

I've zoomed into the gap that the creek flows through.  In the background is the Shenandoah Valley and Massanutten Mountain.

This curious doe was also at the overlook, and didn't seem very concerned about my friend and I standing there where I pointed out where I had gone backpacking the week before.

1 comment: