Sunday, October 17, 2010

Why the Mountains are Blue

I like to write poetry myself from time to time. Imagine my surprise to find not only a cemetary in the middle of the woods during my hike up Little Devil Stairs, but this sad poem in the cemetary. It commemorates the mountain people who had to leave their homes to create Shenandoah National Park. A photo of the cemetary is in my Little Devil Stairs post. I have transcribed the poem here.
“Why the Mountains are Blue”
By Wayne Baldwin

Enter here these Blue Mountains,
And enjoy the Sky-Line’s views,
Sample the streams and fountains,
But don’t forget the sacrifice that was made for you

That you can come and experience this National Park today,
Many lives were affected in many different ways.
While you relax and take in all this natural beauty,
I’d be remiss if I failed in my duty….

To tell of a people who once resided on this land,
Who toiled, labored, loved, laughed, and cried,
Having their lives altered by a “plan”,
And whose stories, many untold, shall never die.

Whose way of live and culture were exaggerated by many an unjust fact,
Whose property was condemned by a legislative act,
Who moved willingly or by force,
Changing forever their life’s course.

Out from the protection of the hollows and vales,
Out into resettlements or to properties their pittance procured at sales.
Looking over their shoulders with tears in their eyes,
Pitifully departing their old homes among the skies.

Leaving familiar sights, their homes, their burial plots,
Most left begrudgingly for some low country spots….
The blue of the mountains is not due to the atmosphere
It’s because there is a sadness which lingers here.

79 comments:

  1. Oh that is so sad. What a shame all those people had to leave the land they so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad. I love these parks but we have to remember that many people were made to sacrifice tremendously so that we can enjoy the parks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doubt you'll ever read this but it's actually about the native Americans who were driven from their homes on the trail of tears and who had their land stolen

    ReplyDelete
  4. King of yapperville

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. The person that wrote this never stops yapping

      Delete
  6. Ong would never stop yapping

    ReplyDelete
  7. Somebody tell Ms Jobe to stop yapping

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ms.jobes is a professional tapper

    ReplyDelete
  9. MS.jobe tell your dum stupid student to stop talking to me and you also Ms.jobe need to stop talking

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate ninjas like Ms jobe

    ReplyDelete
  11. ms jobe is a lil bitch she gets made easily she a fuckin Karen I hope she quits 😹👌🏿

    ReplyDelete
  12. Xavier smells like shit

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanna slap tf out of Ms jobe

    ReplyDelete
  14. Smokin on dat Ms jobe pack 🚬🗿

    ReplyDelete
  15. Guys I’m gunna shit in ms jobs class

    ReplyDelete
  16. Alexander the Great IIFebruary 28, 2024 at 1:00 PM

    I’m in hell

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ms. Jobe gonna find ya

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope ms jobe gets fired

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don’t like Ms jobe i just act like i like her 💀

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello everyone let’s chat here

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why ms jobe keep yappin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Guys be a buddy not a bully -Jenny V

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nobody likes her ew

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ms Jobe is a nice teacher

    ReplyDelete
  25. But the wall and Casper

    ReplyDelete
  26. Im Jenny and I like Angel L

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ms job you a bitch sad pussy ass nigga 😹👊🏿🍆👩🏿‍❤️‍💋‍👩🏿

    ReplyDelete