Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Through the Gap and Along the River

This hike was from October 30, and is my next to last post to catch up with.  It was a 9.9 mile hike in Shenandoah National Park, covering at least four trails, and it was mostly a loop.  Here is the track.  I started at the north end of the loop, went clockwise, did a short (a mile or so) out at back along the Appalachian Trail to the south, and then reversed direction and marched north back to the beginning at Turk Gap.  It was a very enjoyable day.  My goal was to reach the Calf Mountain shelter for lunch and tea, but I was running low on time and was hungry, so I stopped at the southernmost point of the hike for this, right along the trail.


I didn't see any spectacular scenery or creatures, but there was a good bit of all color that I enjoyed.  Here are a few photos from my hike, now two+ weeks ago.  Are you intrigued by any trail you come to, wondering where it leads?  I am!

Fall colors - red, orange, and yellow.

Fall is probably my favorite time of year, but it is so short.  My guess is that a week or so after I took this photo on October 30, the trees are bare.

The Appalachian Trail crosses this power line, but it does have some decent views.

Thank you, PATC!!!!

Fall wildflower with a native pollinator - some kind of wild bee.

I love the color that sassafras changes to in the fall.

Here was the only other view I saw on the whole hike.

After my too close for comfort bear encounter earlier this year, I've carried a canister of bear spray.  And I've not seen a single bear since!


2 comments:

  1. Yes, when I see a path I want to follow it too. : )
    Pretty fall colors.
    Glad you haven't run into any more bears!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, it was a good hike for fall color! Well, I do have another bear tale to tell, just not from this hike. :^)

    ReplyDelete