Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Great Dismal Swamp - Southern Section

Once again, I've let my hiking blog get badly out of date.  I have taken three hikes since my last post.  I am trying to decide whether to post them or not, but at the least, I will start by posting my January 23rd hike in the southern part of the Great Dismal Swamp.

Here is the track.  We drove past the headquarters, then drove along gravel roads in the wildlife refuge.  After driving to Lake Drummond (top right corner of the image) for a quick look, we returned to the trail head for the Western Ditch (purple star) and parked the car.  The hike was about 3.3 miles each way.  We could have gone further but were getting a late start and it was a long drive home, and we hiked at a slow pace looking for birds and other wildlife.  Once we reached the end of the Western Ditch, it was a hard left on the Southern Ditch.


Dead trees might seem unsightly, but they are critically important to many animals, such as woodpeckers and other cavity nesting birds.  This one has really been worked over by woodpeckers.

Who knows what lurks in the dark swamp waters?

 The ditch trails are seemingly as straight as arrows.

Look at all the fresh stumps of small trees cut down by the industrious beaver!

Speaking of the world's second largest rodent, here is his dam.

And here is his lodge - you can see his stockpile of food in front of it.  A beaver has a pretty comfortable life until he cuts down all of his food supply.  Then, it is not so good.

We saw some birds, and recorded them on eBird as we went.  I saw an otter flash across the path, and we found the sad remains of this yellow-bellied slider.

I liked the starkness of this stump and the brightness of these berries.


We were nearly back to the car when my friend Carlton said "Stop!" So, I did, thinking that he must have seen a cool bird.  I looked up.  I looked ahead.  I saw nothing.  "Look down, by your left leg," he said.  And when I did, there was this beautiful plain-bellied water snake, which until recently was named the red-bellied water snake.  I was shocked to see a snake out and about on a January day that, while not frigid, was not exactly warm either.  We got some photos for identification later, then left this little harmless snake alone.




I always enjoy exploring in the Great Dismal Swamp, and hope to return in the next month or two.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a good hike.
    Those red berries sure pop out.
    Cute little snake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy hiking here, there are always things to see and I usually see animals. The snake was a nice find. I wish I had gotten a picture of the river otter, but it moved liked greased lightening.

      Delete