Friday, January 3, 2020

Wrapping Up 2019

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

In 2019, I took over 5,000,000 steps, walking an estimated 2,470 miles.  Of this, 422 miles were hiking on trails, the first time I've ever hiked over 400 miles in a year.


Some other stats: I hiked 384 miles as day hikes, and only 38 miles while backpacking.  It was not a good year for backpacking.  I cancelled two trips when I got sick, another to go to my step-mother's memorial service, and at least two more when our cat got sick.  Maybe I'll manage more in 2020 - that's my goal at least, once I start hiking again.

I hiked 100 miles by myself, and 322 miles with groups, including 159 miles with the Old Dominion Appalachian Trail Club.  I went backpacking once with a group and once by myself.  I finished most of the trails in the Southern District of Shenandoah National Park.  I have about 200 miles left to hike in the entire park, which probably means hiking closer to 400 miles, since so many are out and back, or I have to repeat some sections I've already done to get to a trail that I haven't hiked yet.

My favorite hikes of the year?  The Grayson Highlands backpacking trip, my November backpacking trip over Rockytop, the ODATC hike on the AT from Stony Man to Thornton Gap, and the three Road Scholar hikes for June, July, and October - which I got paid for!

1 comment:

  1. Well you beat your record!!
    What a fantastic view behind you.

    ReplyDelete