Sunday, December 29, 2019

New Map

I'm glad I saw the bear up close on my last hike, because I won't be hiking for a while.  My wife needs surgery and so I will staying close to home for some time.  In the meanwhile, I can study maps and dream of days to come on the trail.  Speaking of maps, in my Christmas stocking was a Purple Lizard topographic map of the Laurel Highlands region of Pennsylvania, where I backpacked twice in 2018.  The map includes the southern 35 miles or so of the wonderful Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail.  But the map contains the following health warning: "Continued use of Lizard Maps may result in an inability to stay indoors and an uncontrollable desire to explore.  Your skin may become covered with dust and dirt.  Mild euphoria can make it difficult to relate time and distance.  A perpetual smile may alter your definition of weather.  Your entire worldview may change.  There is a potential of all of these to occur simultaneously and without warning.  This is why we are warning you now."

Okay, I've been warned.  Bring it on!


1 comment:

  1. Somehow I missed your last couple of posts so had to catch up. Wow you saw a bear!!

    Sorry to hear your wife as to have surgery. I will pray all goes well.

    To answer your question. Yes, I do like the Louise Penny series!! I don't find them sad though. I like many of the quotes from the books!

    ReplyDelete