Sunday, October 9, 2011

Back at Back Bay

Just two weeks after the Komen 3-Day for the Cure, and one week after running in the Livestrong Dolphin Challenge 10K at the beach, my plantar fasciitis is feeling a bit worse than it had been. But it is still not as a bad as before, so I decided to go on a hike back at Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge. It was good to be back, for the first time in five months. I hiked about four miles, starting just minutes after dawn. I love being outside in the early morning, and have for a long time. I didn't find any amazing wildlife, other than a huge flock of swallows that flew over me. Here are some photos from my little hike this morning.

This guy and I were the only ones in the parking lot when I got there. He was launching his kayak, and I waited a second to capture him for my blog.
Panoramic marsh view.
Early morning view out across Back Bay and the marshes.
I hiked a long a dike with fresh water along most of the way. I sometimes see wildlife in the water ways, including a river otter once, but not today.
I ended my hike with a quick stop at the beach at the wild Atlantic. The beach is pristine for about nine miles to the south from this point.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful area. Looked like a nice day to be out and about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love exploring here, Rohrerbot. Different from the mountains but spectacular in its own way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a great hike.
    I'd love to try kayaking sometime.
    Have you ever?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was good to be back there at Back Bay, Karen. Kayaking is a lot of fun, and yes, I've done a little of it - never whitewater though. My last time was in Michigan a few months ago, and then in Alaska a year ago before that - which was spectacular. Art

    ReplyDelete