Sunday, November 11, 2012

What Am I?

I saw this animal on last Friday's hike in the Petersburg National Battlefield.  Although some may be terrified of this little creature, I thought it was beautiful.  I have seen it before, but less than a dozen times in my life.  Can you figure out what it is?

I'll quickly make the first clue known:
I have a long and fine backbone

And here's the next clue you've been told:
Unlike your blood, my blood runs cold

I have no legs, but move with ease
And cross the ground just as I please

My ribs and scales are what I use
To move around.  Does that amuse?

If you should grab me, I'll feel fright
But you'll fear not: I shall not bite

But should a foe bite me in haste
My musk will give him great distaste

A brownish stripe runs down my back
I may look drab, and beauty lack

But think no beauty? Don't be quick
For underneath, I'm red as brick

Enough
clues;
Scroll
D
O
W
N
for the
answer

If you have guessed red bellied snake
Then this, the right choice, you did make

I saw this beautiful little snake right in the middle of the path.  This is an adult, believe it or not, as they are a very small animal.  Unlike many snakes, even small ones, this species will not bite you.  But I could smell the foul smelling musk he sprayed on my hand when I picked him up.  He was quite cool to the touch, as he was not in a sunny spot.  I am sure he was scared, so I just held him for a few seconds so I could snap a photo of his beautifully colored belly.  The first photo was as I saw him in the path.

 After I put him down, he very slowly moved off the path and amoung the leaves.





2 comments:

  1. I didn't guess it but I have seen one of these.
    He does a very pretty belly. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a beautiful little creature.

    ReplyDelete