Saturday, May 5, 2012

What Am I?

I saw this creature Wednesday on my after-work hike in Dutch Gap.  See if you can figure it out...

I have a backbone, just like you
So that makes me a vertebrate, too.

My body's covered with many a feather
To keep me warm, regardless of weather.

My feathers also help me fly
And keep my body warm and dry.

Keeping dry's important, you see
For far from water I'll rarely be.

I am the size of a wise owl
But you might call me a waterfowl.

I can see you're thinking "duck;"
If that's your guess, you're out of luck.

Not duck nor goose, I am a rail
Keep on going; you'll prevail.

Frenchmen called me la poule d'eau
Meaning "water hen," as you may know

My body is a lovely grey
With hood of black - quite sharp, I say!

My face and bill are brilliant white
And now to guess, I you invite!

Time
to
scroll
D
O
W
N
for
the
answer:

Although you might not think I'm cute
I'm what I am: American coot!

No comments:

Post a Comment