Monday, May 7, 2012

What Am I?

Over the years, I have seen a lot of fascinating creatures at Back Bay - an otter, gray and red fox, a water moccasin, copperheads, glossy ibis, osprey, eagles, even a bobcat!  But until Sunday, I had never seen this creature there.  Can you figure out what it is?

Not far past, I was everywhere
But today I am kind of rare

My blood gets warm when it is hot
But cools right down when it is not

In diet, I'm an omnivore
Berries and bugs, and so much more

I live entirely on the land
(At Back Bay, that can mean some sand)

I can't walk fast, I cannot fly
I can't swim well, I'm not real spry

I'm marked with black and bright yellow
My disposition's fairly mellow

I'm protected by armor plate
Which helps keep me in a safe state

And though I have no keys or locks
I can retreat to a strong box

Okay!  Time to make your guess!
Scroll
slowly
D
O
W
N
to
find out if
you
are
correct.

If you cleared each careful hurdle
You guessed that I'm a box turtle!

Not only did I see this one, but later that day, I found another one a couple of miles away on the drive home!  And this after never seeing even one here before!


No comments:

Post a Comment