Sunday, March 17, 2013

What Am I?

On my nature hike at the Pony Pasture in James River Park yesterday, I saw this commonly seen feathered friend.  Can you guess what it is?  It should be easy, unlike my last one about the duck seen at Back Bay.

For starters, here is this good word -
For many states, I am their bird

Despite my name, I choose no pope.
If you think that then you're a dope

And if you think I'm man of God
I'll tell you now: your logic's flawed

From tail to beak, I'm dressed in red
Except for black on throat and head

With big red bill I crack hard seeds
For energy to meet my needs

I sing my fine song: "Wheat, wheat, wheat..."
To human ears, sounds very sweet

This should be
easy, so
take your
guess and
scroll
D
O
W
N
for the
answer:

A cardinal's quite the proper choice
If you guessed right, then raise your voice!

Commonly heard and seen here, the State bird of Virginia and many other states, there is nothing like the shocking red of a cardinal against the drab woods of winter and early spring!

1 comment:

  1. Oh yes, I got that one too. : )
    I love how they stand out in every season.

    ReplyDelete