Thursday, August 22, 2013

What Am I?

As I hiked along the Old Indian Trail in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore last week, I heard an animal moving more or less in my direction through the forest.  I stopped and waited, and waited, and suddenly, there it was - three of this creature.  Although they are very common all across the USA, I have only seen them a handful of times while hiking.  Can you guess?

I'm covered with a thick grey fur
So I'm a mammal, you'll concur

Some people say I wash my food
A silly myth - don't think me crude

For food, I'm not fastidious
I'll eat things you think hideous

I truly am an omnivore
Eat meat and fruit and lots things more

My paws resemble your fine hands
And serve me in my life's demands

Around my tail I've rings of black
I think I am a handsome jack!

I'm quite at home up in a tree
And won't come down despite your plea

And like a robber I've a mask
With this last clue, complete your task!

I think you
should have
plenty of clues
to figure this
out, so
scroll
D
O
W
N
to find the
answer.




Did you just call the proper tune,
And guess that I'm a masked raccoon?

Three of these animals walked through the forest.  They didn't see me, but at one point they began to move away, so I began walking towards them.  Two started running, and the third - a younger one - climbed a tree.  I snapped a couple of photos and then left him alone.  It as an exciting sighting to see something a little different.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes, I got this one right away. The washing of the food gave it me. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, you nailed that one! It was very cool to see these three just patrolling through the woods.

    ReplyDelete