Tuesday, July 9, 2013

What Am I?

Here is the third "What Am I?" riddle from my backpacking trip on Shackleford Banks....

Patrolling by the water's edge
In tireless search of food, I pledge

I probe the sand with my long bill
For food my belly with to fill

My feet move fast, can you keep up
While I search for some things to sup?

A sanderling, do you suppose?
No - let's continue with more prose.

For I'm much larger than that bird
You'll have to take me at my word

I'm drab in color but in my flight
I boldly flash both black and white

From market hunting I was rare
But I've come back thanks to man's care

That should
be enough clues
to identify
this common
shorebird.

Do you know it?
Scroll
D
O
W
N
and see if you
got it right!

Did these clues all help you fill it
and determine I'm a willet?

I saw a number of these impressive shorebirds while hiking on Shackleford Banks last month.  The Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918 helped their populations, decimated from market hunting, recover, and they are now commonly seen along the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment