Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Horsing Around in Goochland County

After my 32+ mile backpacking trip to Pennsylvania, I wanted to go for a short and relaxing hike, and an Old Dominion Appalachian Trail Club hike near here last week exactly fit the bill.  Two club members, Jack and Pat, sponsored a 4 mile hike and cookout at their home in the country last Wednesday.  We had beautiful weather for the day, and their property is in a lovely horse-oriented community in Goochland County.  Along the way, I took a few photos.

Here was where we hiked, starting and ending at the red circle:

This was maybe the biggest club hike I ever went on, with lots of people out there.  The beautiful weather and burgers and dogs surely didn't hurt.  Lots of folks out on the trail that day.

We hiked through forests,

horse farms, such as the one occupied by these mules,

and past open fields.

There were also some ponds, like this one coated in green duckweed.

I particularly liked these miniature horses.

Well, most of my hikes are a bit more challenging than this one, but they rarely end with a great cookout and hiker fellowship.  I had a great day!

1 comment: