Tuesday, October 9, 2018

If I Ever Get to Isle Royale Again...

I may never get back to Isle Royale National Park again.  It took me over 40 years to get back after my first visit, it is hard to get to, and there are many other places to see and trails to hike.  But if I am ever fortunate enough to get back to this amazing place, what would I do differently?

Planning - I'd probably plan at least one extra day if I were traveling by air.  I missed my flight home when the ferry couldn't make the run out to get us because of a gale.  I'd also throw a little extra food - Kind bars, trail mix, dried fruit - into the kit in case I got delayed on island.  But I'd only need to do that if I were going in late September or October when they close the stores.  In the main season, if you end up at Windigo or Rock Harbor for the ferry, there will be stores that are open.

Camping - I'd be less concerned with getting a shelter.  I'd probably take my two man tent to have a little room.  I'd make sure to camp at least one night at Moskey Basin, and there, I would shoot for one of the shelters.  I might also try to get to Lane Cove, which was on the list but didn't work out.

Food storage - Would I bring my bear canister again?  I am not sure.  The park service recommends them.  The squirrels are aggressive but we never saw a fox in camp.  Hanging one's food is out - it's like a red squirrel dinner invitation.  In the shelters, the food seems safe.  In a tent, I am not so sure, as both squirrels and mice can chew through a tent.  None of my companions had a single problem but we mostly stayed in shelters.

Night Sky - I'd probably pick a clear night and stay up really late at least once looking at the stars.  If I were really lucky and had the open view to the north, maybe seeing the Northern Lights could happen.

Route - I'd camp on some of the inland lakes, and I would spend more time on the Greenstone Ridge Trail.  If possible, I'd catch the boat to Hidden Lake and see that and Lookout Louise, and hike back to Rock Harbor.  I'd also look into a route that would get me to Windigo, and catch the Voyageur back to Rock Harbor.

Time of Year - I'd give up on seeing the fall foliage.  I think to do that, you have to go at the very end of the season, using the ferry from Minnesota.  I might consider August because the ferry from Copper Harbor runs every day.  I'd probably avoid June because the black flies must be horrendous up here.  May would be cold and wet but the wildlife sightings could be amazing.

Family - I'd love to bring my granddaughter and her mother here.  If so, I'd probably do a 3-4 night trip, with one or two days at a remote site and the rest at Rock Harbor.  Two days remote would give the ability to hike into an area, like Three Mile, with full packs and then spend a day relaxing and day hiking with light packs.  I'd probably only bring food for the overnight part, and buy food for the meals in Rock Harbor at the camp store.

Isle Royale is an amazing and magical place.  If you love nature, hiking, and the outdoors, I suggest that you find a way to get there.  If you hate camping or backpacking, go at a time when the lodge is open and stay there.

2 comments:

  1. Don't know how I missed a few of your posts but it sure was nice reading about your hikes. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was something that I have wanted to do for years, and quite an adventure.

      Delete