Friday, February 24, 2012

Sounds of Spring

I haven't had as much time as I should to run lately with 13.1 miles coming up in just over three weeks and a 10K just two weeks after that. The weekend up to New York City took three days out of my long distance running schedule. But last night, I got my house cleaning done after work and stepped out the door about 6:30 to get in a three-miler. Naturally, it was dark, but for February 23rd, unnaturally, it was very mild. I was dressed in shorts and a running tee, which was a welcome change from long running pants and multiple layers.

As it turns out, I wasn't the only one noticing the warm weather. As soon as I stepped out my door into the night, I heard them, one of the surest signs that spring is on the way - spring peepers! Loud and urgent they were, as if calling: "I'm here! I'm here! Pick me! I'm your ideal mate! Pick me! I'm here!" It is amazing that such a tiny frog - about the size of a thumbnail - could have such a loud voice.

We had our first real snow of the winter this past Sunday while I was in New York. Then, just four days later, it is over 70 degrees out and the spring peepers are calling as if their lives depend on it - which, of course, the lives of their future generations do. I've always loved that sound, and look forward to it each year. And even though February 23rd seems rather ridiculous to hear it, I enjoyed the little concert as I ran through the dark. It kept me company on my solitary run.

No comments:

Post a Comment