Thursday, January 10, 2019

Getting Off on the Right Foot!

Virginia, and maybe other states, has a tradition of encouraging people to hike on New Year's Day.  The state parks are free, for example, and many - perhaps all - of them have ranger led hikes that day.  The Old Dominion Trail Club had a hike scheduled for January 1, and my friend Doug talked me into going.  Originally, I didn't plan on going because hiking with a group of 30 or 35 is not that appealing, but I am glad I went.

The hike was about four miles on a brand new trail, the Co-Op Trail, which is in Pocahontas State Park just south of Richmond.  Jeff, the man who led the hike, is very active with trail maintenance there, and did a lot of work to make this new trail a reality.  It was good to go and see the great work they had all done.  Here is the location of this trail:

And here is the track of the hike, more or less an out and back with some loops, starting and ending at the red star.

We had a big group for this hike.  I'm in the middle of the pack here.

I think it was Altria that paid for the materials to build this impressive stream crossing.

The Co-Op Trail is marked in pink.

A lot of this very pleasant hike has water views.

Where there is water and gentle slopes, there are usually beaver.  Busy as a beaver comes to mind.  North America's largest rodent, and the second largest rodent in the world, stay plenty busy.

More water views on the return.

This is a very easy and very pleasant hike.  I had a great time, and I felt like I got the New Year started on the right foot (or maybe it was my left?)

Two days later, I did a solo hike to Cumberland Marsh Natural Area.  The sighting of the day were two bald eagles.  Since I have documented that hike several times, I won't again.

2 comments:

  1. Lots of people on that one hike. Looks like a good one.

    ReplyDelete