Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Starting 2021 Off Right!

So far in 2021, I've been hiking six times and for 33 miles.  Now that I caught up blogging about my last hikes in 2020, I'm going to write about a few of the new year hikes while deciding whether or not to keep the blog going.

My first hike was January 2-3, backpacking at Belle Isle State Park.  I went with a group of 11: nice people, a number of them first time backpackers.  It was a short hike, only about 1.5 miles each way in this coastal park that is as flat as a pancake.  The weather Saturday was amazing - highs of around 60 degrees F.  During the night and Sunday, not so much - lots and lots of rain, and lows around 42.

Here is some of the crew on the flat and short hike in.

Arriving at camp, first order of business is to set up one's tent, so we each did that in quick order.


Second order of business - a mug of hot tea and a cookie.

The hike-in camping area was on a little point on the Rappahannock River, with some nice water front views.





Soon enough, the sunset started to roll in, and it was time for dinner.  The sunset quickly progressed to spectacular.



Backpacking is a lot more fun with a group and with a campfire (and a dry place to sit).

We chatted around the campfire until well past 10:00, and eventually turned in.  
Out in the river, huge flocks of Canada geese loudly chatted until well past midnight.  Eventually, I fell asleep, although my feet never quite warmed up.  At some point, rain was pouring down for some time, and when I got up, some of the areas had big puddles.

I think I had an energy bar for breakfast.  The rain had stopped, and several of us packed up early and hiked out before it began again.  Plenty of time and opportunity at home to dry everything out.  This was a fun place to hike and camp, and I shall be back!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this valuable knowledge.

    I've read a lot of blogs, but I've never seen anything quite like this. Furthermore, I'm grateful for the opportunity to introduce myself through your posts. All you've written has left me speechless. For an instance, I've bookmarked this for future reference because it's still really useful, even after many years. You have defined clearly about hiking in switzerland, instruction & adventurous moments that we can enjoy.

    ReplyDelete