Friday, February 12, 2021

To Blog or Not to Blog: That is the Question

 I finally caught up my blog and am looking at usage statistics.  For my last nine posts, the most recent first, I have the following "hits:"

Powhatan State Park Hike: 13

Mountains in the Snow: 12

January Overnight in the Mountains: 19

Starting 2021 Off Right: 16

Final 2020 Non-Mountain Hikes: 14

Hiking to Blackrock Shelter: 18

Final 2020 Shenandoah Hikes: 17

Wrapping up 2020: 15

The Lazarus Woodpeckers: 30

That's an average of only about 17 views per post, and some of those are certainly various web services which automatically look at pages to calculate usage, not real people reading about a hike.  I got a total of 5 comments on the nine posts, so about a half comment for every post on average.  Bottom line is, I am not getting a lot of interest in the blog.  

I have a sore foot right now from new boots rubbing it wrong.  So I probably won't hike for a week or so.  Then I will decide whether to continue the blog or not.  If I see a bunch of comments from people saying that they like reading about my hikes, then I am more likely to continue the blog for the rest of the year, because that will indicate some interest.  Otherwise, I am inclined to shut this blog down after 12+ years.

5 comments:

  1. 12 years is a long time. I enjoy reading about your hikes and will miss you if you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I for one enjoy reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much. I enjoy writing it for the most part.

      Delete
  3. Did you shut down your blog? Seems sad if so

    ReplyDelete